In terms of motorcycle rallies, Sturgis is known worldwide as the “Grandaddy of ‘em all.” It’s the annual pilgrimage every rider wishes they could make, and many of them do. If you’re curious about Sturgis 2022, this article has info on the history, rides, events and concerts. We’ll also talk about the most important steps you need to take to get ready.
Motorcycle Rally Destination Since 1938 – Why Sturgis?
Back in 1938, Clarence “Pappy” Hoel and his wife Pearl bought a motorcycle franchise right in the middle of the Great Depression, and in the middle of a beautiful but sparsely populated part of the U.S. The couple decided to host a race for their (also newly created) motorcycle club. Nine riders kept a few hundred spectators on the edges of their seats, and the event became an annual thing that grew by leaps and bounds.
Now the annual Sturgis motorcycle rally is attended by hundreds of thousands of riders from all over the world, and every year riders from Dallas Harley-Davidson® are among the many. The 82nd rally runs from August 5-14. Here’s what you’ll find if you’re lucky enough to attend.
Sturgis 2022 Events
Every second of the rally is jam packed with spectacles. Catch up on sleep before you head out, because you’re not going to want to miss a second when you get there. Here are some of the events planned for this year.
- Opening Ceremonies – on August 5 there’s live music, a Main Street Parade, the Mayor’s Welcome, Woodland native dancers, a stunt show on Harley-Davidson® Way and a guest band on the Harley-Davidson® Rally Point Stage
- Mayor’s Pub Crawl – This event features visits to five of the world’s most famous bars on 8/6, starting at 7 p.m. Registration required.
- Mayor’s Golf Tournament – Play golf with people who share both your passion for riding and for the game on Sunday the 7th.
- Sturgis 5k – Show what you’ve got on two legs, not just two wheels in the legendary Sturgis 5K. The city provides breakfast after.
- Mustache and Beard Contest – On August 10, show off your manly facial hair with winners in six categories.
Sturgis 2022 Rides
This is what it’s all about – time in the saddle celebrating the freedom of the open road with people from all over the world. The scenery is pretty good, but it’s the camaraderie that makes it unparalleled. Here are some of the rides taking place this year.
- 20th Anniversary Mayor’s Ride – Anything that has happened for two decades straight is a pretty big deal. The Sturgis Mayor leads riders through the Black Hills and wraps things up with lunch at Custer State Park.
- Medicine Wheel Ride – This ride takes you from Bear Butte to the Crazy Horse Monument. Proceeds go to local Native non-profits.
- Police Chief’s Ride – This first ever event happens August 3, and involves a limited number of riders and Sturgis Police Chief VanDewater.
Sturgis 2022 Concert Lineup
The music is unbelievable every year, and this year is no exception. Here are just a few of the performing artists scheduled to attend.
- Snoop Dogg
- Tim Montana
- Rob Zombie
- Chase Matthew
- Stephen Pearcy
- Travis Tritt
- Aaron Lewis
- Blackberry Smoke
- Jon Pardi
How to Get Ready for Sturgis 2022
If you’re headed to Sturgis from Texas, you have a long way to go. TBH, if you’re headed to anywhere from the Dallas area, unless it’s Louisiana, you have a long way to go. Our state is just plain big. So a Sturgis trip requires advance planning and preparation. The main concerns are the heat, road fatigue and mechanical issues.
As far as the heat goes, plan on it being brutal. Anything you can do to cope, you’ll be glad you did. Get mesh riding gear so you have airflow. Hydration vests help, because you’re going to sweat like crazy and you don’t want to dehydrate. Some riders from previous years say if all else fails, ride with a bag of ice in your lap and just let it melt as you go.
Music makes any road trip better. This June, take advantage of our Rockford Fosgate Audio promotion where if you purchase any Rockford Fosgate upgrade, you can receive 20 percent off your installation.
To avoid mechanical issues, make sure your bike is in top shape before you go. We're happy to help when you book your service today.